house.of.hurc

a place for me to talk about anything and everything.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

hurc's weekend adventures in Brantford - Day 2b

Day 2, Part 2 - The Buck & Doe

For most of the day, I was debating whether to drive my car to the reception hall, or just cab it, so I don't have to worry. Knowing me and my tolerance for alcohol, I probably shouldn't be driving after tonight anyway. We end up hitching a ride with someone to the hall.

As we're entering the parking lot, another pick-up truck drives by us, rolls down the window, and asks:

"Is this where the poker tournament is?"
"Uh... we're not from around here, we really don't know."

Looks like the Buck & Doe has got some competition tonight. Hope the poker tournament won't steal away too many people away (it didn't).

When we're inside, we notice that we're really the only people there. I guess it's true for any party, regardless the event; never arrive on time. People tend to arrive fashionably late.

For the reason, I hate being late. I'm guilty of being late from time to time, but I always plan on being on time. It's hard to take you seriously when you can't keep to your schedule.

First thing I do, is buy some alcohol tickets. Remember I said this is a fund-raiser? Well, you buy tickets at the door, which you exchange for alcoholic beverages. I really wasn't in a beer mood, especially not after having way too much the weekend before at the beer fest. So all I had left was either rye (Canadian Club) or vodka (Absolut). I'm not a big fan of Absolut, but then again, I'm not a rye drinker... yet.

The night went by pretty fast. People poured into the hall at a fairly regular rate. We got there at 8pm, and the food was only served around 11pm. Even so, I wasn't even hungry, I was still feeling the burgers from the afternoon, and had been snacking on the party mix all night long. Food was pretty standard fare: pizza and roast beef sandwitches. That's what you get for a 10$ cover charge.

We played games, like Crown and Anchor, which is like a roulette game. I lost about 10$, a quarter at a time. There were raffles too. I didn't buy that many tickets, so I didn't win any prizes. There was dancing. I danced a bit. Yes, I did dance, although I did skip the slow dances, it would look pretty weird to be dancing on my own.

All in all, it was a great night. We got a ride back to the house, and many people were still hanging around, even at 2-3 in the morning. They have this huge fire pit and there was this great fire going. It was probably about 10 degrees Celsius, so it was nice to sit around a bonfire.

When it was time for bed, A., P. and I jumped into the tent we pitched early in the day and had ourselves a backyard camping great time! Well, it was 3am, so all we really wanted to do was sleep. Sooooo...

In the morning, we were planning on leaving fairly to head to Toronto for some Korean BBQ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home