hurc's career path
For those loyal readers out there, you know that I'm usually complaining about one of 2 things: relationships and work. Let me share my thoughts on my fledging (or not) career.
I've always thought that I was immediately pigeonholed in a Tech Support or Customer Service role whenever people read my resume, because of the years of good experience I have in the field. But after having been grilled for an hour on a phone interview today, I've come to realize that I'm clueless outside the world of call centers. I no longer remember anything from school.
I haven't programmed in years, not that I was very good to begin with. I'm not an expert on networking and have never built from the ground up VPNs or IPSec tunnels for corporate environments. I don't remember any theory behind all those Computer Science courses I've taken. My B.Sc. is just a piece of paper now.
Many will say, well, your Bachelor's degree teaches you HOW to cram, HOW to manage your time, and less about what you actually learn in class. But still. Unless I do some actual major studying soon, I will continue to bad at interviews, because all I know is tech support and call centers. It sucks, especially when I've been trying to get OUT of support.
This phone interview was also for a support role, but very different from what I'm doing now. There may be a testing aspect to it, so I'll get to learn some new stuff too, that may lead to other things, maybe QA, maybe testing. Not sure if I would be really interested, but it would be a good start I think. Even though I said that my interview didn't go so great, I think I have a small shot. But anyway, I don't want to get too much ahead of myself here...

1 Comments:
my standing offer is always open. give me 5 days i can mini-crash you into a solid looking QA engineer (at least interview like a solid one).
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home