house.of.hurc

a place for me to talk about anything and everything.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Special Commentary on The Big Adventure

I posted an old comic strip on Amy's blog that Daichi and I drew way back in 1997, during our University days. It's about the heroic adventures of a whale called Big Blue, and his pig sidekick, Ditchie. His arch-nemesis was Whale-O-Saurus, who also had a sidekick, a sea horse named Horsey.

Anyway, the strip only lasted for one half-assed story, but it was hilarious. We called it The Big Adventure. I would draw one or two frames, pass it to Daich, and then he would draw another one, and so it went. You can pretty much tell who did what. The nicer widescreen angles were all done by Daich. I pretty much suck at drawing. The strip was done in one 1.5 hour class.

The main inspiration for the main character was the teacher from our 308-350 Numerical Analysis course. I don't recall his name at all, but the reason we called him Big Blue was because he was big-set guy (trying to be PC here) and always seemed wore a blue shirt. We drew the strip during his class for maximum creative output.

Speaking of his blue shirt, I don't know if Daich and Amy will remember, but during this class, we started noticing a... trend. That blue shirt seemed to come back into the wardrobe rotation pretty quickly. And we would also notice other shirts he would frequently wear.

"Didn't he just wear that shirt last week?"

So we made up a schedule to test our theory. From Monday to Friday. We would write down the shirt he would wear for every day of the week. We had class with him on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that was easy. It finally took us 3 weeks (after running around the department trying to find him and see what he was wearing) to complete the schedule.

And we were right.

He had a specific shirt for every day of the week. Sure, we all have our own little routines and wardrobe rotations. But comon'! Could you have made it so obvious! For the rest of the semester, he would follow that schedule exactly as we had predicted! I wish we still had that schedule somewhere...

Actually, I might still have my 350 notes somewhere...

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

i only vaguely remember the shirt bit, i think we called him big blue because of the blue shirt, it was like a cornflower blue.

i didn't realize we got the shirt schedule right though :) good job!!!

as for the comic strip, thanks for scanning it. i wonder if we can "digitally enhance" it - at least just the text part.

12:46 a.m. EST  
Blogger zibalatz said...

Big Adventure == awesome.

Thanks for linking to my site.

1:30 a.m. EST  
Blogger hurc said...

Amy:
Actually, those are the scans that Daich made way back when. I don't think I have the originals. Again, I might still have them in my 350 notes, somewhere. But I think any enhancing should be done with the full rez pics I put on your blog. Maybe someone would also be kind enough to color them. And yes, Big Blue is actually blue.

9:38 a.m. EST  
Blogger feistydaichi said...

I remember seeing the originals recently - sigh. If anyone else *does* have them, I can scan them with my newer, much faster, scanner... 1200dpi

BigBlue also had a red&white horizontally striped shirt.

I thought it was a baby blue.

10:27 a.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home